Basic ingredients for irresistible lemon bars are:
|All purpose flour||1 cup and 2 Tbsp|
|Unsalted butter, softened||½ cup or 1 stick|
|Eggs||2 large whole|
|1 large yolk|
|Confectioners’ sugar||1/3 cup|
|1 Tbsp for garnishing|
|Granulated sugar||½ cup|
|Lemon juice, freshly squeezed||3 Tbsp|
|Grated zest of a lemon|
- Zest a lemon using a lemon zest or a box grater. Be sure not to grate the white part of the lemon skin.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., and lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Cream softened butter with 1/3 cup of confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Mix in 1 cup of flour to form a crumbly dough.
- Pack dough evenly in an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- While crust is baking, whip whole eggs and yolk until foamy.
- Beat in granulated sugar and 2 Tbsp of flour until thick and smooth.
- Add lemon juice and zest.
- Pour lemon mixture over hot, baked crust. Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes until topping is set and slightly golden.
- If it has this much brown on top, it may have been in the oven a little too long.
- Cool completely in baking pan on wire rack before sprinkling confectioners’ sugar on top and cutting.
Idea for this recipe of lemon bars is from Big, Soft, Chewy Cookies by Jill Van Cleave