These luscious buttery, walnut-covered thumbprint cookies are delicious ice-breakers at any party. You can easily pipe or spoon the rum-flavored eggnog filling into the center of each cookie.
|Unsalted butter, softened||½ cup or 1 stick|
|Granulated sugar||1/3 cup|
|A pinch of Ground nutmeg|
|Egg yolks||2 large|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp|
|All purpose flour||1½ cups|
|Egg whites, slightly beaten||2 large|
|Finely chopped pecans||1 cup|
- Cream softened butter using an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 1 minute. Then add sugar and nutmeg and beat until well combined.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined.
- Gradually add flour. Cover and chill dough until it is easy to handle.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F., and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each first in egg white, then in chopped walnuts to coat.
Place them on prepared cookie sheets, about 1-inch apart. Press your thumb into the center of each ball to form a well.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, cream ¼ cup or ½ stick of softened butter for about 1 minute. Then add 1 cup of sifted confectioners’ sugar and continue creaming until fluffy. Beat in 1 teaspoon rum (more or less, if necessary) to make a spreading consistency.
- Just before serving, either pipe or spoon enough rum filling into the center of each to make irresistible eggnog thumbprint cookies.