These crisp sesame cookies are typical Armenian treats. They should be baked at low temperature to ensure a dry and crisp texture.
|All purpose flour||3 and 1/3 cups|
|Baking powder||1½ tsp|
|Unsalted butter, melted||1 cup or 2 sticks|
|Sesame seeds||1 cup|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt together and set aside.
- Whisk together melted butter and milk in a large bowl, then add sugar and continue whisking until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Add one egg and whisk again thoroughly.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 36 pieces of approximately equal weight. Roll each piece of dough into a 4 or 5-inch strand. Connect the ends to make a circle and set aside. Finish shaping all the cookies.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds in a shallow dish.
- Beat two eggs well to form an egg wash. Paint each cookie with egg wash and gently press its top into the dish of sesame seeds.
- Arrange cookies, seeded side up, on prepared baking sheets, spacing about an inch apart. Adding a little sesame seeds to the dish at a time to keep them from getting all sticky from the egg wash.
- Bake sesame cookies for about 30 minutes or until they are golden and dry. Cool cookies on baking pan on wire racks. Store them in airtight containers to preserve their crisp texture.