Cookies are perfect party food and party favor. Impress your guests by serving these Neapolitan cookies at your next party. The dough can be prepared a day in advance to avoid a last minute rush. Also great for mailing, they make fabulous gifts for long distant relatives and friends.
|All purpose flour||2¼ cups|
|Baking powder||1¼ tsp|
|Unsalted butter, room T.||1 cup or 2 sticks|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp|
|Unsweetened chocolate||1 oz|
|Chopped, melted, and slightly cooled|
|Pecans, finely chopped||¼ cup|
|Red food coloring||1 or 2 drops|
|Nutmeg, freshly grated if available||¼ tsp|
- Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with parchment or wax paper, extending the paper over the top for easy removing of dough later.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
Cream butter until fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add sugar and continue beating until the mixture is no longer gritty when rubbing between two fingers.
- Blend in egg, vanilla extract, and salt on low speed.
- Gradually stir in the flour and baking powder mixture just until blended.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. Add chocolate pieces and chopped pecans in 1 portion, 1 or 2 drops of red food coloring in another, and grated nutmeg in the third.
- Pack the nutmeg batter into the prepared pan, smooth out the dough with your fingertips.
- Drop pieces of the pink-tinted batter onto the nutmeg layer to cover it, then press into an even layer.
Repeat with the chocolate layer
- Fold parchment or wax paper over the top, press to smooth and compress the layers. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lift dough out of the pan, invert it onto a wooden board, remove the paper, cut it in half lengthwise with a long and thin knife. Then, cut crosswise into slices ¼-inch thick.
- Place slices on prepared baking sheets, spacing about an inch apart.
- Bake these party favors for about 15 minutes or until they are set and pale gold on the bottom.
- Cool on baking sheets for a couple of minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
This recipe makes about 4 dozens Neapolitan cookies to serve at your next party or give out as party favors.
This Neapolitan cookie recipe for party favor is in Cookies. Williams-Sonoma Collection. Simon & Schuster.