Made with cream cheese and flavored with butter, these empanadas can be either baked or fried. Either guava paste or any tropical fruit preserve could be used as filling.
I preferred baking these mini Cuban cookies filled with either pineapple or mango preserve. They prove that truly delicious treats don’t need many fancy ingredients.
|Unsalted butter, softened
|½ cup or 1 stick
|All purpose flour
|Guava paste or fruit preserves
- Cream softened butter and cream cheese until light.
- Gradually fold in flour with a spatula, then knead on a lightly floured surface to form a soft but not sticky dough. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When you are ready, line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8-inch thick, and cut into circles using a 3-inch round or fluted cookie cutter.
- Place ½ tsp of preserve in the center of each circle. Fold dough in half. Press edges together to seal.
Let cookies rest for 15 minutes while you preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Cool empanadas on wire racks. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.