|All purpose flour||1 cup|
|Freshly grounded black pepper||1 tsp|
|Extra sharp Cheddar cheese,||1 cup|
|Cold unsalted butter,||½ cup or 1 stick|
|Cut into pieces|
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper together and set aside.
- Using a food processor, mix grated cheese with pieces of cold butter until they are well combined.
Add the flour mixture and process until a ball of dough starts forming.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about an hour.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F., and line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Work with half of the chill dough, and keep the other half refrigerated. Roll dough out to less than ¼-inch thick, and cut out cookies using a floured, fluted round cutter of approximately 1¾ or 2-inches in diameter.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining dough. Re-roll the scrap for more cookies.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they are firm with a light and golden color.
- Let them cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before carefully transferring them to wire racks to cool completely. Store these delicious delights in airtight containers.
This recipe makes about 35 savory cheese cookies, and is in Cookies Unlimited by Nick Malgieri. HarperCollins Publishers Inc. 2000.