Carrot zucchini bars prove that you can have a cake, I mean cookie, and eat it too. They are lusciouly moist, rich with vegetables and low in saturated fat.
- Most dried fruits such as raisins have a much better taste if you plump them up before adding to cookie dough. Soak them in hot or boiling water for about 10 to 15 minutes under cover.
- You can keep nuts from sinking to the bottom as they bake by mixing them thoroughly with a little flour, that is to be used in the recipe, before adding them to dough or batter.
|All purpose flour||1½ cups|
|Brown sugar||½ cup|
|Eggs, slightly beaten||2 large|
|Carrots, shredded||1½ cups|
|Zucchini, shredded||1 cup|
|Chopped pecans||1 cup|
|Vegetable oil||½ cup|
|Ground ginger||½ tsp|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Baking soda||¼ tsp|
- Soak raisins in boiling water for 15 minutes, and drain well on paper towel.
- Mix coarsely chopped pecans and plumped raisins with a little flour that is to be used in the recipe.
- Shred carrots and zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in another bowl.
- Add carrot zucchini mixture to flour mixture.
- Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
To prepare delightful citrus-cream cheese frosting or icing, you need:
|Light cream cheese||8 oz|
|Confectioners’ sugar, sifted||½ cup|
|Orange juice||2 Tbsp|
|Lemon or orange peel,||1 Tbsp|
- Using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Spread light citrus-cream cheese frosting over cooled carrot zucchini bars.
- They are good under refrigeration for a week if you are successful at keeping them that long.
Other Easy Recipes for Bar Cookies
Every time I make these delicious carrot zucchini bars, I have a hard time keeping both my mind and hands off them. Good luck!