When making these animal cookies, you need cookie cutters or templates of your favorite animals. If you don’t own any ready-made animal shaped cutters, feel free to let your imagination and artistic talent guide you in making your own animal templates.
The next step is to gather the following ingredients:
|All purpose flour||2 cups|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Ground cinnamon||½ tsp|
|Granulated sugar||½ cup|
|Brown sugar, packed||½ cup|
|Unsalted butter, softened||½ cup or 1 stick|
|Vanilla extract||1 tsp|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon together thoroughly. Set the mixture aside for later use.
- Cream softened butter until light, then add sugars (both granulated and brown). Continue creaming at medium speed until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. At this point, if dough is too soft to handle, cover and refrigerate it for 2 hours or until firm.
- When you are ready to bake, roll dough out to about ¼-inch thick. Use cookie cutters or templates to cut out your favorite animals.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until cookie edges are golden brown. Transfer animal cookies to wire racks to cool.