To make this cookie gift, you need:
- A completely clean and dry 1-quart, wide-mouthed canning jar with a lid
- 24-inches of ½-inch ribbon
- A note card with baking direction
- An 8-inch square of decorative fabric (optional)
- A rubber band (optional)
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chocolate candies (such as M&Ms)
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Pour flour mixture into jar and pack down firmly into an even layer.
- Pour brown sugar in and again press down firmly.
- Next comes granulated sugar, then cocoa powder. Try to pack each layer down firmly. Wipe off any bit of cocoa powder that might cling to the sides of jar.
- Add chopped walnuts, followed by chocolate chips, then M&M candies.
- When every layer of ingredients is tightly packed, secure the lid in place.
- Prepare a note card with the following baking direction.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Melt 1½ sticks of unsalted butter on stove top or in a microwave and allow it to cool.
Add 1 large egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the cool but melted butter. Whisk them together thoroughly.
Add content of jar and stir until just combined.
Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing about 2-inches apart. Press to flatten slightly.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until tops are cracked, dry, but still soft.
Place the entire parchment paper along with cookies on wire racks to cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
- Make a small hole in a corner of the note card. Secure the piece of decorative fabric over top of jar with a rubber band. Tie ribbon over rubber band into a bow with the note card attached.
Your homemade cookie gift is ready for giving.